Swollen gums is a pretty common issue. It’s not a disease but it is normally caused by somebody malfunction or infection. If you got swollen gums, you don’t have to be panic because there are a lot of home remedies for swollen gums that you can try at home. These home remedies for swollen gums will not only treat the gum swelling but these will also give you some instant relief from the pain and inflammation due to these swollen gums.
Normally the gum swelling gets healed after a couple of days. But if you see that swelling is not going even after a week, then it’s better to call or visit your dentist before it’s too late. The dentist will examine your gums completely and he will suggest if these swollen gums around tooth are due to an oral health issue or it is something else.
Instant Steps and Tips for Swollen Gums
Gum swelling is felt instantly due to the pain when the food or tongue touches it. As you observe the swollen gums around the tooth, you can take the following measures to reduce the gums swelling and the pain due to this swelling.
• Brush your teeth with some medicated toothpaste for at least two minutes. And make your habit to brush your teeth twice a day. Once when you wake up in the morning and once just before going to bed. And some good mouthwash for floss is also recommended so that you may get completely clean of your mouth. Mouthwash reaches were your toothbrush can’t reach. If you will maintain good oral health, you will not face the swollen gums problem.
• Try changing your toothbrush or toothpaste. Sometimes the swelling of the gums is caused due to some irritation and this irritation can be due to any toothbrush or toothpaste. Toothpaste has a lot of chemicals and there are chances that your new toothpaste contains something which irritated your gums and you got gums swelling. If it is so, change your toothpaste instantly and never try that again.
• Smokers and tobacco consumers often face the issue of swollen gums. The better idea is to avoid consuming tobacco at least till when you have gums swelling. Tobacco and tobacco products are the main cause of irritation which may result in swollen gums.
• Like tobacco, alcohol is another thing that can be the cause of swollen gums. Alcohol is harsh to your teeth and it can damage roots of your teeth. Alcohol is good for teeth only when you have a bacterial infection because alcohol kills bacteria residing in the cavity and you get relief from the toothache. And you might have heard or read about the recommendation of alcohol in case of toothache. But it doesn’t mean that alcohol is good for your oral health. Avoid consuming alcohol or alcoholic drinks and beverages because it can intensify the pain in swollen gums.
• Sometimes you get swollen gums because your stomach gets upset due to the constant intake of an unbalanced diet. Most of the times this unbalance occurs when you stop or reduce consuming fruits and vegetables. Your stomach gets heat up and as a result, you get swollen gums. To avoid such issue, take a properly balanced diet and take an adequate amount of fruits and vegetables.
• Certain foods get stuck between the empty space between teeth and gums like popcorn. If you are suffering from swollen gums, then the better idea is to avoid popcorns because it may get stuck in the gum which is already swollen and hence the pain may increase.
• Sugar and sugary drinks is another cause of swollen gums. Sugar sticks and stays on the teeth which can cause gums swelling.
Home Remedies for Swollen Gums
Swollen gums can be treated at home and here we are going to tell you some home remedies for swollen gums. Try these home remedies for swollen gums and get instant relief from the pain and gums swelling.
1- Rinse with Saltwater
One of the best and quickest thing that you can try at home to get relief from painful swollen gums around the tooth is saltwater. Get a glass of water and mix a teaspoon of sea salt or natural rock salt in that water. Warm water is best if you can get a glass of warm water. Now after mixing salt, rinse your mouth with this salt water.
Take a sip but do not swallow. Swish for 30 seconds and then throw it out. Repeat this till the glass of saltwater gets empty. This home remedy will give you instant relief from painful swollen gums around the tooth.
2- Cold Warm Press
One of the best home remedies for gum swelling is cold and warm press. Try this swollen gums remedy to get instant relief from painful swollen gums. Take a towel and soak it into warm water. Squeeze the towel to get rid of extra water and then press this towel onto your cheek where you have gums swelling. Press it for almost five minutes and remove the towel.
Now take a bag of frozen peas or ice cubes and cover it with a cloth and then press it against the face where your swollen gum is. Press it for 3 to 5 minutes. Repeat this warm and clod process for 3 to 4 times and you will get relief from painful swollen gums instantly.
3- Hydrogen Peroxide
A diluted hydrogen peroxide solution can heal your swollen gums instantly and magically. Get 3 tablespoons ofa diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide – 3% solution is normally recommended – and mix this solution in the same amount of water. Now swish with this water for at least half a minute and spit it out. The gums swelling will go away in a day or max two. If the swelling of the gums doesn’t go away, try this home remedy for swollen gums again.
4- Aloe Vera Mouthwash
Aloe Vera is a natural agent for treating swellings and other skin issues. So for swollen gums, you can try Aloe Vera mouthwash to get relief from painful swollen gums. Swish with two tablespoons of Aloe Vera Mouthwash for a minute and then spit it out. Repeat the process after 8 hours if the swelling doesn’t go away. Using these home remedies for swollen gums around tooth you can get rid of the pain and gums swelling at home within a day or max two. But if the swelling doesn’t go away, you must visit your dentist.